Monday, May 18, 2009

Should I separate my twins in school?

This was one of my first dilemmas as a mother of twins. My boys were 4 when they started Pre-K. Their teacher happened to be a mother of twin girls that were 2 years old. I talked to her extensively about wanting to keep the boys together because they were so close. She completely disagreed with me and said that she would be separating her twin girls as soon as possible. I decided, based on their bond, that I would keep them together for Pre-K. During all the parent teacher conferences, the teachers were urging me to separate the boys for kindergarten. I told them, that I had decided to keep them together until they decide they want to separate. I had to meet with members of the school board in order to keep relatives in the same classroom in kindergarten. After much begging and pleading, they decided to allow the boys to stay together. THEN.......summer happened!!!!!!
They were absolutely terrible that summer. The boys were arguing, fighting, hitting, whining, not sharing....doing everything in their power to annoy and tick off the other one. After just two weeks of summer vacation, I called the school board and told them to sign them up for separate classes. The boys were frightened to be apart. I explained to them the positive side to separate classes. I told them they will have their own teacher, friends, recess, homework, etc. They held onto the positives for the summer and we talked extensively about the changes that would occur in August.
I must say, they are about to complete 1st grade now, and separating them, was the best decision I ever made. They enjoyed coming home from school to see each other and share their day. They looked forward to playing with each other in the afternoon. Their vocabulary increased tremendously as they would share their individual day experiences with each other. If you are struggling with the decision to separate, I give it an astounding thumbs up!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment